Tuesday, April 14, 2009

BBQ Sauce...


I always double or triple this recipe just to make sure I have it on hand. I pour it in the crockpot with chicken or ribs and let it simmer all day. Sometimes I use it to create BBQ baked beans.

"I need a napkin...my mouth is watering!"
I forgot...I'm the mother...that means I've got to get my own napkin. Excuse me a moment...

O.K. that's better.

Without further aduo... (no idea how to spell that)

Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
  2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
I'm back...(want to make sure you know it's me speaking and not Big Al)

So here in Costa Rica I have yet to find Molasses so I don't add that to mine and it still turns out mouthwateringly delicious. So enjoy...

Love ~ME

3 comments:

Amber said...

Fabulous, Shawna! Gotta try it! Keep 'em coming, because I know very soon I'll be cooking only from scratch, so I better start preparing now!!!

Heather Anderson said...

Can't wait to try it! I have been testing out all these cooking from scratch ideas and I LOVE it!

Lorena said...

Yummy...can't wait to try it!