Thursday, April 2, 2009

How Many Days Can I Go Without Complaining?


{Said in the Tootsie Roll commercial voice, the one with the owl} One...two ooh, three...CRUNCH!

I guess we will never know...

Except I do know..it took me 79 days before I complained. So lame. Especially when I thought the day would never come.

{My daughter saw the above picture and said, "Mom, why is that guy naked?" In all my years watching that commercial...I never noticed that! Hee, hee.}

Anyway, the situation I'm frustrated with...my laundry attitude.

Living in our other home, you might remember that we didn't have a washer and dryer. We had a clothes line...and I had to pack up our dirty clothes twice a week and get them to the next little town to wash them at my sister in laws. Such a struggle. Especially since living by the beach we had plenty of wet, soon to be mildewy clothes. It was ROUGH!

Moving here we acquired a GLORIOUS washer and dryer. They are so beautiful and my most coveted items in the house.

Then yesterday morning, I woke up and the first thought that went through my head was, "Was I drooling?"

Oh no...I meant the second thing that went through my head. "Augh...I have to do laundry today!!!"

Can you believe it?

I swore I got it! I understood how good and easy life is with these modern utensils to help me through my chores. I really thought I would NEVER complain at the luxury of having a washer and dryer again.

How long did forever last? 79 days, exactly.

Don't worry...I quickly realized my folly and changed my laundry attitude. I reminded myself of my blessings and hopped on the "gratitude wagon" again.

Whew!!!

Tonight my son Dallin and I took a casual walk to our favorite bread store and had an interesting conversation on our way home.

Dallin: "Remember when we used to complain about having to put dishes in the dishwasher? giggle, giggle"

Me: "yeah..."

Dallin: "I'll be so thankful when that's all I have to do."

Me: "Me too."

Dallin: "Costa Rica sure has changed us."

Me: "Yep."

{I just need to fight harder not to change back. Being human can be so frustrating some times.}

2 comments:

loubige said...

Amen. 79 days is AWESOME by the way. Instead of days I see how many hours I can go. :-)

Lara said...

I agree with you about being human. Most days, it's SO not easy!