Friday, August 22, 2008

Becoming Accustomed...

It is hot and humid here in Costa Rica. More so in Jaco where we are.

When we are out running around, I can walk in a house that has had the {so called} air conditioning on and be hit by a wall of cold air. It is so relaxing and refreshing. One of my favorite things here.
However in about ten minutes in the same room, I will start sweating. Did I say sweating? I meant perspiring. Once my body has acclimated to the temperature {the temp I used to think was COLD} it didn't seem to appreciate it anymore.
I've thought about this a lot lately. When we first moved here, I loved the drive to church. I loved bouncing along the crazy road. I enjoyed the gorgeous trees, vines and other foliage. The sky was such a bright blue with fluffy clouds.

Now I dread the drive.

When did that all change for me?

Sunday as we were starting our 6 hour church adventure, I realized I haven't appreciated any of the above mentioned benefits of Costa Rican life in quite awhile.

Why you ask? Maybe it's having to make all three meals for our Sunday and have my 5 kids dressed and ready in church clothes by 7:45 am. Or the fact that munchkin number 5 gets car sick now and pukes every time on our drive there, no matter what I do to avoid it.

But here is the thing. All the above mentioned difficulties are reality. So are the "beautiful" benefits attached to life here. When did I become acclimated to this beautiful environment?

Maybe the trick is to see the bright blue sky, gorgeous white fluffy clouds and green foliage even while your hands are scrubbing vomit.

Yes, I think that is the trick. Then life becomes more beautiful because of what you choose to focus on.

Easier said than done, however. "Focus Shawna! Focus!"


6 comments:

Jenny said...

What a sad picture! Poor little guy! Give him a big hug for me, and the rest of the "munchkins" too.

Christine said...

How funny Shawna I was just thinking this morning that I haven't beem enjoying life enough because I've been stressing about it so much. I look back on the last few days and weeks and think "how did I get through that" but I find that though I'm getting through it I'm not enjoying it enough. I'm resolving to enjoy the kids more before they grow up instead of just getting through the day, appreciate my house even in the midst of cleaning it for the umpteenth time and savor the few quiet moments of peace during the day when they come (because they don't come often). I'm going to try and appreciate the fluffy white clouds in the midst of the bumpy drive.

Anonymous said...

Shawna:
Fresh ginger slices will help with motion sickness. If you can get a hand of fresh ginger and slice it thin and give your little guy a slice to suck on while riding in the car. It is not a harmful thing and it will help with the nausea. Also try to have him set up front in the car and keep his eyes straight ahead on the rode this will also help. I have struggles with motion sickness all my life.
I enjoy reading your blog.
Jo Sansevero

Anonymous said...

Shawna:
Fresh ginger slices will help with motion sickness. If you can get a hand of fresh ginger and slice it thin and give your little guy a slice to suck on while riding in the car. It is not a harmful thing and it will help with the nausea. Also try to have him set up front in the car and keep his eyes straight ahead on the rode this will also help. I have struggles with motion sickness all my life.
I enjoy reading your blog.
Jo Sansevero

Costa Rica Baby! said...

Jo, thanks for the advice with the ginger. We do have tons of that around here. :)

Christine,
I've been thinking about you tough few weeks and the weeks to come. May your load be lightened. :)

Jenny
I will snuggle Landon as soon as he feels better! :)

Tica Macha said...

Just love that "FOCUS". I say that to my dogs when they want to attack every dog they see on the beach. So sorry for the little one. I don't have any suggestions for motion sickness (other than dramamine). You will find, it comes in waves. You love, you don't love, you love,,, it's true that if you focus on the good, the good comes to you and your reality.
It was so good to see you at the meeting!!