Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Strawberry Cream Pie...

I know I've raved about every recipe so far but watch out...this will knock your socks off. That is if you like fruit tarts. It's kind of my version of the tarts we had for my girlfriend's bridal shower {"Hi Nikkinunu!"} oh, maybe 15 years ago {March 18th}. Happy anniversary by the way. :)

Oh, so yummy!

I've put together a few recipes to make this.

First, use my {I mean Ruth's Grandma's} homemade pie recipe. Really easy I promise!!! Go on, you can do it!
***Cut the recipe in 1/2, you only need a bottom crust here.

Ruth's Grandma's Pie Crust

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups shortening
3 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, shortening, sugar, and salt. Blend together with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
2. In a small bowl, mix egg with water. Blend into flour mixture. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
Now you need to bake the crust:
Roll out the crust to fit in your pie pan. Cut the edges off. Put aluminum foil on top and fill with dry beans or rice. {this will keep the crust from bubbling up} Bake @ 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until toasted and baked.

Now for the insides...oh this is yummy! I'm not a fan of vanilla ANYTHING! I can't believe anyone can stand at an ice cream store and order vanilla ice cream.

Really, someone does that?

But I needed a filling for my "tart pie" and found this delicious concoction.

*** this recipe you need to double.
Old-Fashioned Vanilla Pudding

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup evaporated milk

1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla.
3. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
After this has cooled {I don't wait an hour} pour into your baked pie crust. {Of course you have removed the foil and beans/rice} I use beans because they can be used for meals still. The rice can not be used again. Sorry.

Now you can cover the top with your favorite sliced fresh fruit. But this is what I do...

I take half my strawberries and make a pie filling with them. (Those of you in the states can just buy the can if you'd like) Then I spread that on top of most of the pudding filling. I then take the other half of the fresh sliced strawberries and toss them on top of that. {My mouth is watering} Then for color I add about 5-10 slices of kiwi.

Not only does this pie/tart {whatever you want to call it} look gorgeous, it's like creamy summer for your tongue.

Who doesn't like that?

Last week my son accidentally dropped the last piece of pie out of the refrigerator onto the floor. The entire house went silent! My husband was mortified!!!

Let's just say that I hadn't mopped in a few days, but every last drop was cleaned up and went into waiting tummies.

Yeah, this is eat off the floor, don't let anything go to waste, GOOD!

No comments: